Whether you are starting a new wordpress.com site or have an existing one, you just need to submit sitemap to google, bing and other search engines. Because of it, your posts and pages will get exposure and organic traffic to search engines.
As you may be knowing, wordpress.com is very famous blogging platform like Blogger that can also be used to create a website for business or personal use.
By submitting your blog’s sitemap, search engines will be able to find, crawl and index your content, so that your articles will appear in search results. For submitting your wordpress.com blog’s sitemap to google you must need to have or create a Gmail and Microsoft account.
Google search console (formerly webmaster tools) and Bing webmaster tools provide you the detailed report about site’s performance in search results.
It provides you with proper and exact information about your pages and how they are performing in the SERP. It also displays errors if your site is having some, for example, if the site has some crawling errors.
Though there a lot of search engines but Google is the most used and preferred one followed by bing. So for submitting a sitemap, Google should be given the first priority.
Google has two versions of the search console, the new Google search console, and the old google webmaster tools. You have the option to use both of these versions, but we recommend you to use its new version.
Google search console and Bing webmaster tools, both are free tools that don’t even cost a buck. These tools let you have control over your website from a search engine’s perspective.
Before diving into the steps of submitting a sitemap to Google and Bing, lets us first outline what sitemap actually is and why is it important to submit a sitemap to search engines.
What is a Sitemap?
A sitemap is basically an XML file that contains the URL of all the pages of your site. It acts as a map of your whole site which helps the crawlers to find and index all the pages of your site. It is a complete index of your site which makes it easy for the search engine bots to index your whole site.
A sitemap is like a primary path that Google and all other search engines follow to crawl and index your blog’s posts and pages. So this was the basic concept about a sitemap, you can read more about it on Wikipedia here. Scroll down to read about the importance of sitemaps below.
Why is a Sitemap Important?
- It helps the search engine’s crawlers to find all the pages of your site (except noindex pages).
- It makes it easy for the site to get indexed.
- It acts as a complete map of your site.
- It is the primary way of submitting your site to search engines.
- Sitemaps also help in classifying your site’s content.
- Sitemap also offers the opportunity to inform search engines about any changes on your site.
Steps to Submit WordPress.com Sitemap to Google/Bing:
So here are the steps for submitting a wordpress.com sitemap to Google and Bing, both in separate sections.
Submitting Sitemap to Google Search Console:
So here we go-
- Login to your wordpress.com dashboard and click on my sites.
- Now select that particular site for which you want to submit the sitemap.
- Now, login to Google Search Console first using your Gmail account.
- Now click on Add a property to add your wordpress.com site to search console.
- Input your wordpress.com blog’s URL into the box.
- Be sure to enter the URL with https prefix. And click on Add.
- Now it will show you this page. You now have to verify the ownership of this site.
- On this page choose Alternate methods by clicking it.
- Now choose HTML tag from this list and copy the tag as I have highlighted in the above picture.
- After this go back to your wordpress.com site’s dashboard and scroll below to select the settings section.
- After clicking the settings section, now select Traffic from the menu options.
- Now scroll down to site verification services.
- Now paste the copied HTML tag into the input box of the Google.
- And click on Save settings.
- Now go back to the search console and click on verify.
- You have successfully verified the ownership of your blog. It will display this message (check below pic)
- Click on Continue to access your site’s dashboard. Now we just have to submit the sitemap.
- Now back in the settings section of your wordpress.com dashboard. Choose the traffic section again and scroll down to Sitemaps.
- Now you will find two sitemaps, the first is of the whole site and the second is of news articles.
- You can also only submit the first one, but in this case, we will be submitting both here.
- So copy both the URLs one by one.
- Now go back to google search console and select Crawl→Sitemaps, like in this picture.
- Now click on Add/Test Sitemap.
- Now paste the first copied Sitemap URL, note that you just have to enter (without quotes) “sitemap.xml” in the input box like this and click on Submit.
- Now copy the whole second sitemap URL or just this (without quotes) “news-sitemap.xml” and again paste in the search console’s sitemap section by clicking on Add/Test Sitemap.
- Hit submit and refresh the page. You have successfully submitted the sitemap of your wordpress.com site to Google.
Note: This was for the old search console. In new Google search console, it is even easier. You can just find the sitemap section on the left in new Google search console. Check the below picture.
Submitting Sitemap to Bing Webmaster Tools:
- Login to Bing webmaster tools using your Microsoft account. Though there are also other options for logging in.
- After logging in to the dashboard, Enter the URL of your wordpress.com site into the input box below “Add a site” and click on ADD.
- Now it will ask to add the sitemap. So simply copy the whole first sitemap URL from your WordPress site dashboard and paste it into this box, just like you did for submitting sitemap in Google search console.
- And click on Add.
- Now like Search console you again have to verify the ownership of your site with Bing.
- So simply copy the meta tag from the Option 2 section here.
- Now back on your WordPress site’s dashboard, scroll down to settings→Traffic. And scroll down to Site verification Services.
- Now paste this copied meta tag into the input box of Bing, and click on Save settings.
- Now go back to the Bing webmaster tools and click on Verify.
- If you’re good then it will show your site’s dashboard like in the below picture.
- That’s it. You’re done.
Note: You can also submit the news sitemap if you wish. There is an option for submitting more sitemaps. This is the easiest method of submitting a wordpress.com site’s sitemap to Google/Bing.
So how was the article guys? Did you found it useful? And if you have any queries about this post, then let me know in the comments below. Do share this post with your friends. And will meet you in the next tutorial. Goodbye.